obserwuj facebook visiton obserwuj instagram visiton

Historical St. Giles Church presbytery

In the city
Contact ul. Białostocka 12
07-200 Wyszków


Father Jozef Szmejter, a person of merit in the parish, initiated construction of the prestybery in 1890s. Father Julian Dmochowski completed works.

The presbytery became famous in 1920 at the time of Battle of Warsaw. Members of Temporary Revolutionary Committee of Poland Julian Marchlewski, Feliks Dzierzynski, Feliks Kohn lodged here on 15 and 16 August. Few days later after liberation of the town arrived here among other things: Jozef Haller, Adam Grzymala-Siedlecki, Ferdynand Ruszczyc and diplomat and French ambassador in Poland Jean J. Jusserand. The events were described by Stefan Zeromski in a short story “At the presbytery in Wyszkow” and then parish father Wiktor Mieczkowski in a thesis “Bolsheviks in Polish presbytery”. In September 1939 the presbytery was destroyed by fire but after the war quickly rebuilt. The property is supplied with sewerage system and electricity. 

Father Wiktor Mieczkowski (1856-1935) born in Tyszki-Piotrowo near Ostroleka. He became a parish priest in Plonsk in 1900. During Polish-Bolshevik war in 1920 “he remained at his post with the people” fulfilling priestly duties. In August that year he “hosted” in the presbytery members of would-be Bolshevik government of Poland. The priest hid during withdrawal of Bolsheviks who run away from Wyszkow. He was included in the Bolshevik list as a person to be killed. After the war he initiated erection of monuments in Rybienko Lesne and at Wyszkow cemetery commemorating defenders of the country. He died on 13 March 1935. According to his request he was buried near the grave the people killed in 1920 in the neighboring parish cemetery.
In 2005 a memory plaque installed in the wall of the presbytery was unveiled. It is written on it: "Dedicated to the memory of father canon Wiktor Mieczkowski, citizen of Wyszkow, participant of Polish- Bolshevik war in 1920 to the endless memory of net generations inhabitants of Wyszkow. 7 August 2005”. Many events referring to the history of Wyszkow take place in the Historical Presbytery nowadays. The building was entered to the register of monuments in 2014.



Source: Tourist Information Centerhttp://turystyka.wyszkow.pl/



comments powered by Disqus


Wyszków, Mazowieckie
Białostocka 12, 07-200 Wyszków

Korzystamy z Cookies. Przeglądając stronę zgadzasz się na zapis Cookie na Twoim urządzeniu