obserwuj facebook visiton obserwuj instagram visiton

Attractions of Mamerki

In the city
Contact Mamerki
11-600 Węgorzewo

Description

Before Germany, in June 1941, began the action "Barbarossa" aimed at occupying the Soviet Union, they prepared command sites for the invasion

In addition to Hitler, Himmler and Goring's quarters, the Headquarters of the Land Forces in Mamerki was established. OKH Mauerwald quarters were given the codename "Anna". Located on the Mamry Lake, it consisted of three parts: "Fritz", "Brigitten- Stadt" and "Quelle". The entire organization started in 1940 was managed by the Todt Organization. Similarly to the Wilczy Szaniec, the real purpose of the construction was camouflaged - the work was carried out under the cover of the construction of a chemical factory. Almost 250 different objects of various structures were created - from wooden barracks, masonry buildings to shelters of various resilience. About thirty shelters (including heavy ones) have been preserved to this day in good condition.

"Quelle" (Source) is part of the quarters (quartermaster's office), in which the heaviest objects survived, reinforced with an additional concrete mantle after the attack on German industrial objects on the island of Usedom. It was found after these bombardments that the most important bunkers of war facilities should be strengthened (the Allies had bombs of greater effectiveness).

"Fritz" is a zone in which the people most important to land forces were based: Field Marshal Walter von Brauchitsch, General Halder, General Guderian, General Helmuth Stieff (Head of the Organizational Department), whose subordinate was Claus Schenk von Stauffenberg. The zone was also the seat of the head of the Foreign Army East.

"Brygidy City" is the part that was responsible for communication. There was a communication center, a sick room, an auxiliary staff, a post office. A large number of women worked in the zone - hence the name. Today in the "City of Brygida" there is a museum with souvenirs from World War II, exhibits related to the development of unconventional weapons, a steel lookout tower.

Visiting the OKH Mauerwald facilities (Oberkommando des Heeres) it is worth having flashlights with you and about 2-3 hours of time. Most of the objects are in good condition - it's worth to see them from the inside.

reviews
Location

Comments

comments powered by Disqus

Location

Węgorzewo, Warmińsko-Mazurskie
Mamerki 1, 11-600 Węgorzewo
×

Korzystamy z Cookies. Przeglądając stronę zgadzasz się na zapis Cookie na Twoim urządzeniu