St. Giles Sanktuary

In the city
Contact ul. Białostocka 12
07-200 Wyszków

tel.: 29 742 32 13


St. Giles parish was established in Wyszkow in 1378 by bishop of Plock Scibor.

A brick church was erected in the place of former wooden churches in 1793-95 and it was founded by bishop of Plock Krzysztof Hilary Szembek. It was consecrated by his successor bishop Onufry Szembek on 8 July 1798. A cemetery was in the closest neighborhood till 1820s. In 1884 thank to father Jozef Szmejter it was built two chapels: of Jesus Heart and Mother of God. The Tsar’s army withdrawing from Wyszkow in 1915 took three church bells. The roof of the church was seriously damaged during the war of 1920. The temple was burnt down in September 1939 during bombings of the town. The interior of the church also went up in flames including a font, a pulpit, pews, confessionals, an organ. A Chapel of Holy Mather of God was the only one which survived including an alter with two images of Apocalyptic Mather of God and Incessant Help Mather of God and two covered oak confessionals. Masses and services were celebrated in this chapel until the end of the Second World War because the German authorities did not allow renovation of the church. Rebuilding of the temple after the war was initiated and thanks to the next parish priests it was possible to maintain faithfully the architectural style of the building. Bishop of Plock Tadeusz Pawel Zakrzewski consecrated it as a St. Giles Church in 1959. The object with 50 meters neighborhood was entered in register of monuments in 1962. 

St. Giles Church in Wyszkow is three aisle building resembling classical king Stanislaw August’s style referring to characteristic column constructions of Palladio type. It is east-oriented, built with bricks and plastered. It is built on rectangle scheme with the presbytery which is not separated and strait closed. Behind it there is a rectangular extension in which there is a hall and sacristy. The interior of the church is divided into three naves by rows of Ionic column on high plinths. Behind the nave there is a tunnel-shaped vault. Five altars are in the church. The main altar is crowned by sculpture of St. Giles with a hind. The interior of the church is 30 meters long and 15 meters wide. The main wall is 50 meters high. There are also two adjacent chapels that are 10 meters long and 10 meters wide. The building contains four oak exit doors and one painted pine door leading to the sacristy. Five inner doors are made of pinewood. In the church there are 25 windows including 20 made of steel with cathedral glass. On the frontage of the church there is a tower crowned with a helmet and a simple iron cross. In the main entrance to the church there are wrought iron bars. Whole church is built of bricks and covered by a red-tiled roof. Two gates and three iron entrances are in the historic wall around the cemetery which located near the church. 

The chapel in Bialostocka street 
It is dedicated to St. Rosalie, erected in the 18th century. The figure of St. Rosalie was replaced by the figure of the Virgin of Immaculate Conception.

Movable monuments of St. Giles Church.

  • A cup dating from the first half of the 16th century with the inscription concerning bishop of Krakow Piotr Gamrat who delivered it
  • Late-Renaissance cup from around 1620
  • Painting of the Blessed Virgin Mary in silver dress from 18th century
  • White dalmatic from 18th century made of pale pink silk 

Commemorative plaques inside the church devoted to:

  • Jerzy Domanski 1902-1945, the director of the glassworks in Wyszkow, soldier of the National Army, prisoner of the concentration camp in Buchenwald
  • Soldiers of the Polish Army - Sons of Wyszkow Soil killed during the Second World War - victims of Nazi extermination camp and soviet labour camp 
  • Parishioners killed for the mother country in the battle with Bolsheviks in 1920.
  • Poles killed and tortured in labour camp in Siberia and infinite Asian steppe. 
  • Faith And Mother Country - Priests Of Puszcza Biala on 150th Anniversary of the January Uprising. 



Source: Tourist Information Center



comments powered by Disqus


Wyszków, Mazowieckie
Białostocka 12, 07-200 Wyszków

Korzystamy z Cookies. Przeglądając stronę zgadzasz się na zapis Cookie na Twoim urządzeniu