Historical Museum in Bielsko-Biała

In the city
Contact ul. Wzgórze 16
43-300 Bielsko-Biała

tel.: 33 817 13 61
e-mail: sekretariat@muzeum.bielsko.pl


Historical Museum in Bielsko-Biała, having its main seat in the Castle of the Sułkowski Princes, continues the museum traditions initiated in the first years of the 20th century

It was then that the self-government authorities of Bielsko-Biała and Galicia Biała established two separate museums. The older was the City Museum in Biała created on the initiative of Erwin Hanslik, a professor at the Bielsko-Biała gymnasium, by the resolution of the City Council of 19 December 1902. At the same time, the local Evangelical pastor, Dr. Artur Schmidt, took part in the forum of the neighboring city council of Bielsko with a similar initiative.

At his request, in the following months, in Bielsko, Biała and the area, a great campaign to collect souvenirs of museum value was organized in 1903. Its result was shown in June 1903 on the Bielsko-Biała shooting range (currently BCK) as an exhibition of local antiquities. A few months later, the Bielsko City Council established the City Museum in Bielsko. However, it took some time before both museums were made available to the public.

The Museum in Biała was opened on December 3, 1904. It occupied four premises in the southern wing of the first floor of the Town Hall, adjacent to the rooms of the Civic Society. It functioned here until 1920, when its activity was suspended, exhibits were stored in one room, and the premises were intended for other purposes.

The museum was reopened only in 1932, this time in the basement of the building, where it operated until the outbreak of World War II, when it was closed. His long-term caretakers were the director of the Catholic folk school Franciszek Farny and the retired head of the Municipal Savings Bank Wilhelm Kroczek.

The Museum in Bielsko was opened to the public on February 25, 1906 in the so-called Old Town Hall at Rynek 9, where it functioned without interruption until 1941. Thanks to the efforts of his custodian, the chimney master Edward Schnack, the exhibition was considerably expanded in the interwar period.

From 1931, it occupied eight rooms on the second floor of the building and one small room on the third floor, a certain part of the exhibits also adorned the corridor and stairwell. It was then one of the largest museums of the regional type in Poland, the third in Silesia, after facilities operating in Katowice and Cieszyn.

In 1941, the Nazi occupation authorities combined the two municipal museums in the so-called Heimatmuseum, which was located in Biała, in the former guild house at Plac Wolności 7. It lasted there until the end of World War II.

In 1945, it was decided to reactivate the Museum. The creation of the facility, located in the Castle of the princes Sulkowski, was taken by Stanisław Oczko and managed until 1980. The City Museum in Bielsko was opened to the public on February 14, 1947, but in 1950 it was nationalized and subordinated to the Upper Silesian Museum in Bytom.

She regained her full autonomy in 1963, and after the creation of the Bielsko Province in 1975, she was transformed into the District Museum in Bielsko-Biała. From the 1970s, field divisions arrived: the Julian Fałat Museum (1973), the Museum of Textile Technology (1979), later named the Museum of Technology and Textiles, the Museum of Emil Zegadłowicz (1980-1993), the Museum in Kęty (1981-2000) and the Museum House Tkacza (1992). From the beginning of 2001, the Museum was called the Museum in Bielsko-Biała with the headquarters in the castle and the branches of the Museum of Technology and Textiles, Villa Julian Fałat and the House of Weaver. At the end of 2013, these names were changed to: Historical Museum in Bielsko-Biała, Old Factory, Fałatówka and Dom Tkacza.



comments powered by Disqus


Bielsko-Biała, Śląskie
, 43-300 Bielsko-Biała

Korzystamy z Cookies. Przeglądając stronę zgadzasz się na zapis Cookie na Twoim urządzeniu